what is qualitative research method : Within qualitative social research, a broad spectrum of different theoretical and methodological approaches as well as survey and evaluation methods (eg Qualitative Content Analysis, Grounded Theory) has developed in recent decades. These include various techniques of interviewing and observation, which are used more or less openly or closed, structured or unstructured.So, lets start this article that is what is qualitative research method.
what is qualitative research method
Depending on the research intention, the current state of research and the subject of research, different research practices can be found. Despite their differences, qualitative methods and techniques have some common features and principles that are characteristic of the understanding of research:
- Qualitative research is geared to the realities of life of the persons to be researched and is based on everyday activities and everyday life.
- The meaning and meaning of actions and expressions of the investigated or explored persons are always interpreted in the context in which they were created. This contextuality includes social, cultural and social backgrounds.
- Compared to quantitative social research, the researcher approaches the research question rather from an inductive perspective. In this way, the greatest possible openness towards the object of investigation is sought.
- Existing theories or models are taken into account in the research process, but do not dominate the research process. At the center of research is the person, their subjective view of things and their own patterns of interpretation. Theories and hypotheses become predominantly inductive, that is, they are first developed, extended or even checked in the research process on the basis of the qualitative material.
- The respective survey and evaluation method is adapted to the subject of the research, in order to be able to ensure the openness of the research subject in this way.
- Compared to quantitative social research, it is usually not researched on representative samples, but on individual cases or samples with low case numbers.
- Research findings are generated by the close examination of individual cases. From individual cases, the continuous analysis can be used to develop “dense descriptions” in the sense of Geertz. Another approach is to design qualitative research as a circular or iterative process using so-called theoretical sampling (Glaser & Strauss, 2010). In addition, there are procedures that define a certain sequence of steps in the research process (eg qualitative content analysis). With their methodologically stricter approach, they contribute to the consideration of scientific quality criteria in the research process.
- Compared to quantitative research, scientific quality criteria such as objectivity, validity and reliability also have a different meaning in view of a different understanding of research.
Thanks for reading this article : what is qualitative research method.
Also read this topic : what is my ip location map.